Saturday, April 8, 2023

The Agony and Ecstasy of Income Tax: A Procrastinator's guide to surviving Tax season

Ah, tax season. That time of the year when we're all reminded that the only two things in life that are certain are death and taxes. And if you're like me, you're probably scrambling to get your income tax done before the deadline.

Yes, I know I should have done it earlier, but let's be real here - who actually wants to sit down and sift through piles of receipts and paperwork? Not me, that's for sure. I'd rather be binge-watching all the excel LabSim videos so I could fully prepare for my MOS-200 exam.

But alas, the deadline is looming, and I can't ignore it any longer. So, I do what any procrastinator would do - I start frantically gathering all my documents and praying that I have everything I need.

And of course, nothing is ever easy when it comes to taxes. I mean, who came up with all the complicated rules and regulations anyway? It's like they're purposely trying to make our lives difficult.

As I start filling out the forms, I realize that I have no idea what half of the questions even mean. "Is this a business expense or a personal expense?" Um, can't it be both? "How much did you earn from your freelance (they meant Hustle) work?" Uh, does it matter if I don't actually remember?

As I try to figure it all out, I can feel my stress levels rising by the minute. I start to wonder if it's too late to fake my own death and run away to a tropical island somewhere.

But the, just when I'm about to give up, I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I finish filling out all the forms, double-check everything, and hit submit.

And just like that, it's over. I can finally breathe a sigh of relief and go back to my regularly scheduled programming. Until next year, that is.

So, If you're like me and you've been putting off your income tax, don't worry - you're not alone. Just take a deep breath, grab a cup of coffee (or a glass of wine), and get to work. And who knows, maybe next year we'll both be more organized and get it done before the deadline. Or maybe not. After all, where's the fun in that?

8 comments:

  1. Agony and ecstasy of income tax?

    Thank you for this blog post, fellow procrastinator ^_^

    We will not only survive but will complete our tax return on time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why I have a tax man. First it was my dad, then it was H&R Block and now his name is Robert. He is my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's during tax season that I hold all CPAs in the highest regard possible. As someone who is terrified of the possibility of filing my taxes incorrectly, I hire someone to do it for me. I know, I should probably just do it my self. However, it's better safe than sorry. One day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see my future in your blog. That's such a horror movie. Hope you can do it earlier next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taxes could be very annoying but if you do freelance work and find it difficult to remember all your expenses and revenue, I know there are some applications you can download for free to keep track of all that. Deductions can also help a lot when filling and ensuring the best possible refund for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try my best to file my taxes very early into the season every year for that "just in case" moment. Last thing I want is an undelightful surprise! Great advice nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just learned the difference between property tax and land value tax. a property tax is a tax on the total value of a property, which includes both the value of the land and the value of any improvements on the land, such as buildings or other structures. The tax is typically levied annually and paid by the property owner. Land value tax is a tax on the unimproved value of the land itself, regardless of any improvements that may be on it. The tax is based on the estimated rental value of the land and is typically levied annually. The difference between the two is that property tax can create disincentives for property owners to make improvements or invest in their properties, as they may be taxed more heavily for doing so. Land value tax, on the other hand, incentivizes landowners to use their land more efficiently and productively, as they are only taxed on the value of the land itself, not on any improvements they make to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who doesn't hate filing for taxes? I wish they could create a system in place that automatically tracks how much taxes they remove from our paychecks so we wouldn't have to waste time on by April 15th. That way, on April 15th, everyone would either get a check or a notification that we owe the IRS money. Simple. Easy. No BS.

    ReplyDelete